Luckily enough, here we are few days later with an official announcement: please welcome the brand new Sony PXW-FS5!
The camera is surprisingly small, weighing only 830 grams body only and 2,2kg with 18-105mm ƒ/4 lens attached and all accessories.
Just like her bigger sister, the successful Sony FS7, the new Sony FS5 has built in NDs, a detachable LCD and a smart grip for handheld operations. Moreover, the Sony Fs5 will use the same batteries as the FS7, the BP-U series.
But this new little star in Sony’s family has a few new specs too: it uses market standard SD cards, it has electronic NDs too, a base ISO value of 3200 ISO (just like the low light beast A7s) and it has a Sony α mount.
As of today the camera can record at the maximum resolution of UHD 3840×2160, but it looks like that it will be able to record true 4k 4096×2160 with a future paid firmware upgrade.
Here are the tech specs:
- 4K Super35mm EXMOR sensor — 4352 x 2662, 11.6 Megapixels (8.4 Megapixels Effective)
- Native 3,200 ISO, Goes up to 32,000 ISO
- 14 Stops of Dynamic Range
- Manual ND Filter: OFF: CLEAR, 1: 1/4ND, 2: 1/16ND, 3: 1/64ND
- Built-in Electric Variable ND from 1/4ND to 1/128ND
- S-Log2 and S-Log3
- On-board XAVC-L recording
- 3840 x 2160 8-bit, 4:2:0, up to 30fps continuous.
- 1080 10-bit 4:2:2 up to 60fps continuous & 120, 240, 480, 960 fps buffered.
- Less than 5 sec boot time, Direct Access Menu, No rebooting for Rec format changes, etc., 2K Center Crop
- OLED Viewfinder: Approx. 1.44M dots
- 3.5″ LCD: 1.56M dots
- Magnesium frame & body with active cooling
- 4K 4096×2160 output capable with paid future firmware upgrade
- 4K RAW in Future Firmware
- Dual SD Card Slots, Can Record Proxies
- 3G-SDI, 4K HDMI, WiFi, Wired LAN, 2 XLR, Built-in Mic
- 2X Digital Zoom in HD, 1.5x in UHD and 2K Center Crop for Super 16mm Lenses
- Same batteries as FS7
- Weight: Just under 2 pounds, Under 5 Pounds with everything
- Availability: November 2015
- List Price: $6,700 without lens, $7,300 with 18-105mm f/4 (actual street prices will probably be lower)
And here some video test:
Link to the official Sony product page here.